Tuesday 8 May 2012

The 2012 MET ball

I am not a fashion connoisseur but I could easily discern two prevalent themes in the attire of choice of last night’s MET ball’s attendees: feathers and peplums. Beyonce, Cate Blanchett, Diane Kruger and Kate Bosworth all wore dresses with feathers adorning the hem (or in Kate Bosworth’s case, the whole dress), while Elizabeth Banks, Emma Roberts, Eva Mendes, Linda Evangelista and Solanze Knowels chose peplum gowns – thankfully in different colours.


The ladies that stood out for me were the more understated ones; I loved Claire Danes in her white J. Mendel dress, Emily Blunt in her pink (and spring appropriate) Calvin Klein confection, and Ashley Greene in her princess-y Donna Karan gown. The exception to my demure-is-best rule were Rooney Mara’s Givenchy lace dress, Karolina Kurkova’s head-to-toe (literally!) golden ensemble and Emma Stone’s bright red/orange Lanvin cocktail dress. 


As it inevitably happens, there were a few appearances that failed to impress me, notably Sarah Jessica Parker in a gown that resembled a tablecloth and Alexa Chung in a dress that couldn’t decide if it wanted to be a shirt-dress or sweetheart neckline dress. Also, Carey Mulligan’s metallic ensemble – it seemed really uncomfortable! 


Overall, I don’t think there were any dresses that especially wowed me and I think most guests opted to play it safe rather than make a bold statement. What are your thoughts for this year’s MET ball fashion? Was there any dress you particularly liked or disliked?

6 comments:

  1. I can agree with you in all except Carey! I think she was marvelous :)though you are right: all sequins ensemble= not comfortable, been there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually love Carey's sartorial choices therefore it really pained me to include her in my 'dislike list'! Nevertheless, I must admit that comfort aside, the outfit is starting to grow on me :)

      Delete
  2. I felt like it was an absolute freak-show. Being 'bold' does not entail looking mildly retarded in ones attempt to be 'different'. Eugh, I have no clue as to what is going through the minds of these people, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you; many fashion mishaps have been made in the name of 'boldness'. I didn't find it so much of a freakshow, but I did find it somewhat disappointing. The question playing through my mind was 'from all the wonderful dresses these people can afford, *these* are the dresses they came up with?!' :)

      Delete
  3. I love Emma Stone's makeup! So peachy and matched her dress perfectly. Her heels are mehh though, they don't suit her ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma's make-up was indeed perfect for her dress, complexion and hair colour! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it but her shoes do ruin the whole outfit somewhat; I would have gone for a different colour and a more summer-y type of heel ^_^ I also wanted to thank you for joining my blog hun, I really appreciate it! :) <3

      Delete